Check out the Presbyterian News Service story about a visit to Colombia by the Rev. Shannan Vance-Ocampo, director of Colombia Programs for the Presbyterian Peace Fellowship. Shannan the group she was with saw firsthand some of the effects of U.S.-operated military bases in Colombia. They also experienced some intimidation during visits to the bases.
- direct the stated clerk to seek the permanent suspension of U.S. military use of the seven bases;
- direct the stated clerk to request a U.S. negotiation of a peace accord to end the country’s violent internal conflict;
- strengthen prayer and action by PC(USA) bodies and members toward peace in Colombia;
- encourage Presbyterian churches to visit Colombia and monitor the bases; and
- direct the General Assembly Mission Council to work with ecumenical partners to monitor and post updates on the impact of the bases.